The historical roots of mutton chops go back to the mid 19th century.
Mutton chops are a variety of facial hair that is commonly referred to as – sideburns. It is believed to stay in fashion till eternity.
It was originally brought to fame by Elvis Presley and even Wolverine. Now, it is facing the limelight once again. In this article, we will do a lengthy discussion on mutton chop beard styles for men in addition to many more things related to it.
Why are mutton chops called mutton chops?
The history of sideburns being called mutton chops travels back to the mid 18th century. The reason was the beard style closely resembled the shape of a meat’s mutton chop cut.
Bikers tend to follow this trend even if its origin is as far as a hundred years ago. How does it help any man? It brings out the masculinity of all men and aids them in hiding their receding hair.
A step-by-step lesson on how you can grow a mutton chop beard
- The rate of growth of a beard varies from one man to another. So, notice that, and then try to let your beard grow till that period.
- There is a proper shave for every face’s shape. Find that out.
- Always apply a good-quality cream before shaving begins. Also, you must clean your beard hair every day to prevent any curling.
- There is a technique that needs to be applied before you start trimming down your facial hair. The technique is that you must let your mustache and beard coincide and touch each other.
- Lastly, you need to clean up your chin completely by shaving off all of the chin hair.
What are the types of mutton chop beards?
A mutton chop beard can be of two distinct types.
- Firstly, one type is called regular mutton chop beards.
- The second type is called friendly mutton chop beards.
Now, where does the difference lie?
There is no mustache in a regular mutton chop, whereas, in a friendly mutton chop, the chin hair, also known as mustache, is seen.
There are precise ways to shave both types of mutton chop beard. Let us learn the process.
A step-by-step guide to shaving the regular mutton chop beard
- The first rule is the same: You need to let your beard grow naturally for three-four weeks or so.
- Secondly, your beard shouldn’t be curled up at all.
- Thirdly, it is necessary that your beard properly groomed. By this, we mean that you need to remove all the hair present in the chin and your neck.
- Also, the right equipment for trimming matters a lot.
- You need to trim your facial hair in a way that creates a slanting but the straight line on both sides of your cheeks.
- One of the ultimate steps is to make sure that your mustache joins your beard in a triangular manner.
- Lastly, try repeating these steps at intervals that ensure your regular mutton chop beard look stays visibly clear.
A step-by-step guide to shaving the friendly mutton chop beard
- Firstly, allow your mustache to grow naturally by removing your chin hair and neck hair.
- How will you let it grow? You will let it extend up to your jawline. Also, the sideburn should grow till the half portion of your chin.
- Next, you have to get rid of your hair present in the cheekbones.
- One thing that you need to keep in mind is your sideburn should meet your mustache.
- Once all these are done, go ahead and trim your mustache.
What do you mean by growing a mutton chop beard in a layman’s term?
For any layman, putting a temporary end to shaving is equivalent to growing a mutton chop beard.
Every man who wants this look has to allow his facial hair to grow till it reaches the length of his desire. Post this, follow the steps mentioned above. After a healthy six weeks or so, you need to trim again so that you can maintain the bushy beard look.
Which face type is suitable for a mutton chop beard?
If your face has no trace amount of mustache and sideburns, then you can’t participate in the league of flaunting edgy mutton chop beards.
Which shape of faces will look good with a mutton chop beard?
- Oblong shaped face
- Triangle shaped face
Top three precautions you should take while trying out a mutton chop beard look
- Your chin shouldn’t have any hair.
- Never use a blade to do the trimming.
- You must use a hair cream of any top-notch brand before shaving.
Top five mutton chop beard styles for you
Since you have come here, it is safe to assume that you are looking forward to trying some modern mutton chop beards.
We have highlighted the top thirty styles in the list given below:
No goatee look
This look is classy, as well as elegant. All you have to do, to begin with, is let your sideburns grow into a beard.
The chops should be thick, and the goatee should be removed. The more you show your finesse in incorporating this style, the more masculine you will look.
Statue it up (unruly look)
This look is a bit similar to the classy and clean look.
The only difference lies in the fact that the former had no mustache, whereas the latter needs a mustache. Let your mustache grow. Don’t shave it off.
Boomerang beard look
This look can be obtained in three simple steps. Firstly, get rid of your goatee.
Secondly, the mutton chop has to be groomed so that it starts along the side of the chin. Thirdly, it must lead up towards the sideburns and get thinner as they move.
Bushy mutton chop look
It is one such mutton chop beard looks that go well with different kinds of faces and not just oblong and triangle faces.
If you have curly and bushy hair and a dense mustache, you can easily nail the bushy beard look.
Smart beard look
This look created with trimming and shaving of facial hair can be flaunted by every man who decides to sport it.
All you have to do is keep the mutton chop short and purposely kept apart from your mustache that should be thin and long.
Top 5 celebrity-approved or famous mutton chop beard styles
The ‘Wolverine’ mutton-chop beard style
Thinking about mutton chop beard and discarding the wolverine look is similar to going to Paris but not paying attention to the Eiffel Tower.
If you want to go bold and big, then opt for this facial hairstyle look. Don’t shave off your cheek hair. However, trim it down once you reach your mustache and your chin. The two sideburns should meet each other at the bottom of your chin.
The ‘Elvis Presley’ mutton-chop beard style
Can anyone ever beat The King’s mutton chop?
No, no matter how much you try, you can’t overshadow his beard look.
However, you can try to replicate it. How?
By acknowledging that The King’s look is characterized by huge sideburns and pin-like sharp edges, you can replicate it. To get this style, you need to shave diagonally.
The ‘70s strap’ mutton-chop beard style
When a modern look meets a classic look, you get the strap mutton chop look. How can you get it? Take out a month and let your facial hair grow out in that period.
Then, shave off the facial hair above your mouth as well as below. It is the perfect look for you if you aren’t bold enough to pull off a mustache.
The ‘John Lennon’ mutton-chop beard style
Have you ever wanted to go easy and carefree in your look and yet manage to stand out in the crowd?
If yes, then this mutton chop look is your go-to. You can easily copy this famous songwriter’s style by not grooming your edges ever and living in it for a sufficient amount of time.
The ‘stubble’ mutton-chop beard style
It is a subtle look that can be achieved if you trim down the short hair once every while so that it doesn’t become even a tiny bit scruffy.
It doesn’t require much effort. This, too, is one of the carefree mutton chop beards look.
A few other mutton chop beard looks that have fallen on our radar
- When paired with a sideburn that extends till way beyond your jawline, a curled mustache becomes the perfect look for oblong shaped faces.
- If you are looking for something sophisticated and perfect for formal appearances, we suggest you go for this look. What do you have to do? Flaunt the thin mustache that you have. Keep the sideburns. Keep a slight stubble. Finally, make the mutton chop beard a bit tapered.
- Are you looking for a beard style that is as crazy and wild as your personality? Then, go ahead and allow your sideburns to grow and flare as much as possible.
Funnily enough, it is natural that some people might associate it with a dish when you hear about mutton chop style. However, now that you have come across how you can get this modernized classic look, we are sure you will love it.
Since there are so many varieties, you can choose according to what suits your face and body proportion. Also, the mutton chop beard is considered to be ultra-cool and attractive. Hence, you don’t have to worry about giving an ‘X’ factor to your look any more.